12.08.2009

Roasted Marshmallows on the Caribbean


My heart hurts as it overflows with gratitude. The last week and a half has given me the opportunity to celebrate the Day of Thanks (preparing mountains of food to thank all those that collaborate with us in Trujillo) and to take leave of all my little Finca brothers and sisters. Spending a total of a week on-site, I have had the opportunity to swim in the ocean, climb up and through rocks to mountain pools, eat beans and guineos with little children and say “I love you” an almost inordinate number of times.

As we eleven departing volunteers half-circled the monstrance in adoration last Thursday night, I wept from the depths of my soul as each of our children knelt behind and blessed us. In my mind’s eye, I saw each of them as the little children they had been exactly three years prior. I heard my voice from three years ago (when I was new volunteer) stating, “Wow! These departing volunteers have given their hearts to these children. I can’t imagine what that feels like!” Now, three years later, I know what it feels like and I wonder how I blinked my eyes so quickly. During that Holy Hour, the primary emotion that flowed out of my eyes was that of gratitude, gratitude for all the grace that God has gifted: graces to be joyful and sorrowful, to grow and to be broken.

I reflect with you on the last three years, thanking you for being a part of this experience.

What I have lost…
All my original Finca clothes to mold
Healthy skin to the hot, hot sun.All graceful movements to the rocky roads and tree roots
The ability to naively trust others to those who’ve taken advantage of me and/or the children.
A sense of personal space to the Santa Fe bus.
My camera, jeans and some odd number of lempiras to different thieves.
Any affinity toward ants to the welts they’ve imparted to my ankles.
Healthy arteries to the wonders of manteca.
Some unrealistic optimism, to be replaced with idealistic realism.

What I have learned…
How to clean a head chock-full of lice.
That I am VERY very small.
How to use a machete.
That I do not like to dance Punta or listen to reggaeton.
That anything that frustrates me about others is a reflection of frustrations with myself.
That I am grateful to the women of the 1900’s that taught U.S. men that whistling and cat-calling are not appropriate greetings.
That making up Spanish words is functional in Honduras
That love is washing a sick friend’s vomit-covered sheets in the middle of the night.
How to cook from scratch for 30 people.
That a few days without electricity or water is no biggie…more than a few and people get testy.
That I need others.
How to give, to receive, to forgive and to ask for forgiveness.
That I can be a parent, but I will forever be a child.
How to confront problems of rats, bats, snakes, scorpions, cockroaches and tarantulas.
No matter how many times a child convinces you that nances are good, do NOT listen.
That hitchhiking on a muddy road in the middle of nowhere can be normal.

What I (will) treasure..
A child learning how to read through participating in Laudes.
Being lulled to sleep by the lapping Caribbean waves.
Drinking straight from the coconut.
Slapping out tortillas over a hot fire.
Off-key choruses sung in the chapel.
The scars on my leg from House 2’s “friendly dog “Winnie Puh”
Walking/Running on the beach.
A community of people always willing to give/get a back-scratch.
Laughing so hard I cry and coming out of sobbing through laughter.
Being SO close to the earth that I cannot scrub it out of my skin.
Running into the ocean or rivers fully clothed.
Hearing “Ana Banana” shouted across the soccer field.
My last dip in the Carribbean, under a star-filled sky and enjoying the campfire-roasted marshmallows Julitza brought out to be eaten while floating under the moon.
Doing sit-ups with Franciscan sisters.
Little children snuggling into my smelliness and falling asleep.

What I am excited for…
Clean bathrooms and being able to flush toilet paper
Running trails free of cat-calling, whistling men
Yogurt, granola, salsa, apples, cheese, salsa, good coffee, salsa and everything bagels
Free purified water and showering in hot water
Fireplaces, carpets, warm blankets and sweaters
Available forms of communication
Good customer service
A real pine Christmas tree and celebrating the season with my family
Being present and able to thank all those who mean so very much to me in the States.

THANK YOU to each of you for your love and support in the last few years. As we approach this holiday of peace and joy, please continue to remember the needs of our little ones. I encourage you to consider continuing to support the Farm of the Child, an impressive example of the Body of Christ incarnate. Each donation is used well by people very conscious of the importance of being good stewards of every cent given.

If you are interested, please refer to www.farmofthechild.org/donate.php or send a check made out to Farm of the Child to:

Farm of the Child
1616 Nottingham Knoll Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32225

In hope and with much love,
Anne Klinkhammer
annabellelee17@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment